Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Hit the Mat

Today I got up extra early, completed my purification morning rituals (more on that and our cleanse later) and went straight to my mat. I feel like a champion. Up until today this has been a total struggle. My motto has been 'just get there' ... as in, as long as I make it to the mat at some point in the morning I have done the work. Not totally so, I decided after actually making it through my sun salutations twice and feeling rather alive for the a.m. Though I do think that idea has gotten me to arrive the first few days and it will probably continue to be what I tell myself on those mornings I just want to stay in bed instead.



Why all this work to begin with? Part of our first homework assignment was to pick a few things about our practice that we want to work on and create a home sequence to do everyday. I chose:

  • Hip openers - because the winter makes me feel super stiff and inflexible. Eka Pada Rajakapotasana - someday!     
  • Heart openers - I'd love to be able to get my shoulder blades to meet and drop down my back without extra warm-ups. This would change so much of my practice.                                                      
  • ... and handstand. Oh, handstand. How you have evaded me in the past.

But even if I cannot do handstand or king pigeon by the end of the training - and don't get me wrong I'm really working towards both - adding the home practice to my morning is a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment