Friday, March 4, 2011

Stick-Figure Sequencing

Lately one of my main focuses has been sequencing yoga poses. I have been playing with different class variations, taking copious notes during classes I've observed and making little changes to my morning routine nearly every day. One of our assignments was to write a class with three waves (mini sequences of asana) that work together to prepare the body to reach a particular peak pose.  I am in love with this - it is truly the perfect puzzle to have running through my mind all day.

I am having trouble with one part of the process though... drawing stick figures. (blush!) This may seem silly but it is also totally frustrating. Yes, I could just write out my sequence using the english or sanskrit titles of the poses - but drawing out the postures actually commits them to my memory. And it is a way to see how the sequence is building. (i.e. is the spine moving in the same direction through the wave, are the poses closer to the ground or all standing postures, which arm variation works with all the poses etc.)

So since this is a challenge I will conquer - hear me roar - I thought I would share some of my terribly funny figures with you. Enjoy!



1 comment: