Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Shock me, Shakti

Today my morning practice consisted of, well, not practicing. My back was sore and I just got up on the wrong side of the bed. Solution: Shakti Mat! A Shakti Mat is a new take on the old bed of nails tradition. You will see the mat in pictures below to get a better idea if you have never seen one. Resting on a Shakti Mat is sort of like getting acupressure and acupuncture at the same time - it increases circulation and helps alleviate pain. I love mine. It is interesting to note that Shakti means 'to be able' and refers to our life force. Shakti is also the goddess of creation and the agent of all change in Hinduism.

So, this morning after my Sun Salutes I went right to the Shakti Mat. I thought I would still be a productive yogi and read "Light on Yoga," by B.K.S. Iyengar, while I rested. I got through a little bit but then decided to go a different route. I realized that judging myself for needing to rest was not yogic at all - that it was okay to give my body a chance to restore without also giving myself busy work.

This weekend at training we learned about Restorative Yoga - about active rest and providing support for the whole body. Ultimately this is about allowing the body to be in a state that helps you melt into the supported pose and out of your routine.  By doing so, you eventually strip away the layers of attachment
to come closer to your true nature. If that is too mighty a thought - it can also be stripping away the layers of stress until you can fully breathe and relax again.

Doesn't that seem like enough on its own? I didn't need to occupy myself with studying - I was already doing and receiving enough. So in honor of Restorative Yoga I rolled up a towel to support the backs of my knees and donned an eye pillow that has not been appreciated in far too long. Feeling stressed? Find time for yourself - rest, restore, find Shakti.

No comments:

Post a Comment