Thursday, July 14, 2011

Out of Control...

... and it feels so good. Well, that might be pushing it but I'm learning that you cannot control everything and that is okay. You're shocked right? In the purest yoga sense, you should not want to or try to control anything. Let it be. Be in the moment. Let go of attachment. I have written these things in this very blog. However, it still seems to be the most difficult lesson for me. And I am sure it is a lesson that I will learn again and again. (Forgive my ever pitta ways.) Through wedding planning I am being put in situations where in order to enjoy the process I need to truly practice surrender.

Last week we celebrated our engagement with our wedding party and family. I had planned said party, made the invitations myself, knew the food, every person, who was bringing children, etc. I had the details down, but still felt like there was always more to do. Then I ran out of projects. I could barely sleep the week before and was having extreme nightmares all to do with not being in control of whatever situation I found myself in night to night.

The message was clear - let go, do not attempt to control, stop worrying about the future, the universe will handle it! Why was I so worried? There are many reasons. Everyone has family stress, right? And here are two families coming together to meet and it's all mine to organize. Stress.

It turns out that it was stress for no reason. The party was wonderful. I slept like a baby after. Had I simply trusted in what I already knew I could have been sleeping much sooner. The yogi me knows the universe provides. The yogi me knows that I can only be in the moment. The yogi me knows to breathe, to be content, to put love out into the world and trust that love will be returned. This was a lesson in practicing what I already know to be true. As the rest of these wedding milestones occur, I hope to trust better next time and practice the awareness my inner teacher is happy to provide.

Cheers to living in the moment, and letting this crazy ride be about our love and joy every step of the way!

1 comment:

  1. The party was perfect! Everyone had a blast and it went off without a hitch. I have no doubt that the rest of the wedding-dos will be just as smooth.

    ReplyDelete